Friday, January 23, 2009

Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie by Holly Black

Valiant is the story of seventeen-year-old Valerie who runs away to New York City from New Jersey. She moves into an abandoned subway station with three others around her age: sweet but slightly crazy Lollipop, Sketchy Dave, and Luis, Dave's one-eyed brother. Eventually, Val discovers that there is more to her new friends than meets the eye (hardy har har. Seriously, no pun intended): Luis has the Sight, which means that he can see faeries, and works for a troll named Ravus who lives nearby, delivering a potion which helps the faeries of New York to resist iron. What's more, Lolli and Dave discovered early on that if they inject that same potion into their bloodstream, it gives them a certain amount of faerie magic temporarily, as well as getting them high. As Val begins to take the potion/drug and accidentally binds herself to service for Ravus, she becomes more and more deeply entwined in the world of faeries which has been right under her nose all her life.

This book, a romantic fantasy which is often considered a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, is one you won't be able to put down until the very end, and once you've finished it, you'll want to read it all over again. It has complex and likable characters (I thoroughly enjoyed Val's comparisons of life to video games and some of her reckless decisions, and I adored Ravus, with his gold eyes and wisdom. I even found myself liking sullen Luis, toward the end). It has faeries, swordfighting, and New York city. Best of all, it makes you think about things you've taken for granted your entire life in a whole new light, the way Ravus, with his broad perception of beauty, does. In his eyes, a gum wrapper transforms into "a mirror that never cracks," and a cigarette butt becomes "the breath of a man." The best books, in my opinion, are the ones that leave you thinking even after you're done reading them, and needless to say, Valiant is one of them. Make sure to read it before it becomes the next Twilight, though (and you know what I'm talking about. I love the Twilight books, but they're not exactly Edgar Allen Poe or anything. Plus, the fanbase is starting to scare me)--Holly Black's enticing story is being optioned as a movie, possibly to be released in 2010!

On a side note: The thing about Val's boyfriend really grossed me out. I mean, I know that stuff happens, but was it really necessary? I can think of plenty of other perfectly legitimate catalysts. I have to hand it to Holly Black, though--it really made me sympathize with Val.

Lovingly yours,
FBF

3 comments:

  1. Hello! It seems that if you post a comment on my blog, I can only repay the favor by posting one on yours. Unfortunately, I don't really read YA fantasy anymore, so I'm not going to be familiar with any of the titles you review. But maybe that's why you review them? To make them more familiar? Because Holly Black does sound like a familiar name ...

    Hmm. Well, knowing what I like (Martin) and don't like (Meyer), would you recommend this to me? xP

    Also -- I don't know if it's just me, but your header-picture shows up too big on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Well, it's different from Twilight, but the readers overlap somewhat. And I don't remember what George R. R. Martin (the one book I read part of) is like... though I have started an epic fantasy book! I'm so proud of myself. It's Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Have you read it? If I ever finish the book, I might even review it. And yeah, the header picture is too big. I'll get around to resizing it eventually. =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have read it!

    In fact -- I was just thinking about it this morning ... about whether I should donate the rest of my Goodkind books or simply shred them.

    xD

    But you should be proud, regardless. I would love to see your own opinion, which makes me hesitant on giving mine. Especially since mine is tainted by the experience of the later books. The first book isn't so bad, after all; I still have it, and I don't think I will ever shred it or donate it. It's the later books that get on my nerves. They get really preachy (pages and pages of preaching), and their morals start contradicting each other. Plus, people get more and more perfect, and there are more and more perfect people. In my opinion characters should become less perfect over the course of a story.

    ReplyDelete